RESEARCH MANUAL OF OPERATIONS
The University of Nueva Caceres is the first university in Southern Luzon, outside of Metro Manila. It started operating as Nueva Caceres Colleges in June, 1948, through its founder, Dr. Jaime Hernandez. On December 15, 1954, became the University of Nueva Caceres. In 2008, the University celebrated its Diamond Jubilee.
Presently, the university is headed by a very active and dynamic president, Dr. Dolores Hernandez Sison. It was through her outstanding performance and leadership in the field of education, and for nurturing the young university into one of the finest in the region why the Board of Trustees appointed her as the president of the university upon the retirement of Dr. Hernandez on March 5, 1977.
To prepare the UNC for the global challenges of the 21st century, Dr. Sison initiated and implemented new programs and course offerings. Colleges and departments were streamlined and rationalized for more efficient and effective service. From its original course offerings in 1948 consisting of Liberal Arts, Commerce, Education and High School, it has expanded to 34 undergraduate and graduate programs.
As a higher education institution, the UNC has been working in partnership with the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). It supports the CHED’s vision on the long term higher education development plan (2005-2010) of the Philippines as a key player in the education and integral formation of professionally competent, service-oriented, principled and productive citizens. Through its tri-fold functions of teaching, research and extension services, it is a prime mover of the nation’s socio-economic growth and sustainable development. All initiatives are therefore geared towards quality and excellence, relevance and responsiveness, access and equity and efficiency and effectiveness.
To respond to the many challenges of the very dynamic environment consisting of rapid development in information technology, globalization and the emerging knowledge-based economy, the UNC established in 1997 a Research and Planning Office to administer and coordinate R and D undertakings of the faculty and staff and students. It is an established fact that research provides the university and its constituents a competitive edge over the others. It is a vehicle for sustainability and global competitiveness. As a catalyst of change, the University of Nueva Caceres is assured that its programs, graduates, and services are relevant and responsive to what the national and the global economy demands.
The University Research and Development Agenda
The R and D Agenda of the UNC is anchored on the university’s mission statement, philosophy and objectives; the National Higher Education Research Agenda (NHERA, 2005-2010), Regional Higher Education Research Agenda (RHERA, Region 5) and the Zonal Research Center (ZRC-5) Priorities.
Research and Development Goal
Produce relevant and responsive research outputs for quality instruction and services for global competitiveness and sustainable development.
Research and Development Objectives
- Establish research centers for arts and sciences, business, engineering and information technology, health, law, education and environment.
- Increase fund allocation for research
- Improve faculty and student participation in R and D endeavors
- Intensify linkage, networking and collaborative works with other partner institutions
- Enhance information technology networks and facilities
- Utilize research outputs for policy and decision-making
Research and Development Strategies
- Develop and implement comprehensive R and D Agenda for the university
- Package proposals for the flagship programs of the university
- Network and link with partner institutions such as LGU’s, PO’s, NGO’s and other organizations for knowledge and resource generation
- Provide incentives for researchers
- Realign student and faculty researches to the UNCRDA
- Strengthen database management
- Upgrade research capabilities of faculty and staff and students
- Maintain a manpower research pool in the different colleges
- Increase institutional fund allocation for research
- Evaluate and Package research outputs
- Utilize research outputs for policy advocacy and decision making
The University Research Agenda is anchored on the four goals of higher educations, namely: quality and excellence, relevance and responsiveness, access and equity, and efficiency and effectiveness. In addition, the agenda integrates the ZRC-5 R and D Priorities for teacher education, socio-economics, ICT, and basic economics and entrepreneurship.
- Quality and Excellence
- Relevance and Responsiveness
- Access and Equity
- Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Teacher Education
- Development of Software Technologies
- Basic Economics and Entrepreneurship